5.07.2011

Coupon Craze: Week Three/Four

Over Easter, I learned that there are not coupons released on Holiday weeks. I think this is kind of funny, since some people consider couponing a part-(or even full) time job. Not supplying new coupons could encourage those hard "workers" out there to take a break now and then.  

I don't know how much of a "job" I would consider my 3 to 5 hours a week investment in gathering, clipping, watching, reading and planning with coupons. I love it too much to call it more than a hobby. But with the kind of money I am saving for my family I can see why some people make more out of it than I'm ready to do. 

I made two shopping trips this week. 

The first was to an nearby grocery store where my bank has a branch inside. I needed to pick up some cash on Friday for rummage sale-ing with my girlfriend anyway, so I did a little snoop through the weekly circular (stored in my cute new $2 filing case), clipped the appropriate coupons (stored in my other cute new $2 coupon accordion filing case), and made my list.

Here's how that stop went:


Total cost before coupons and discounts:    $54.62
Total bill after coupons and discounts:      -  27.74
A savings of:                                               26.88

That's a 50% savings!!!


Which brought my total coupon savings in four weeks to: $175.98
Current average of 49.5% savings.

My second shopping trip was to Copps. I enlisted my son and husband to join me. They had their own separate carts, list, and coupons. It was SO fun to organize for this trip! And my husband enjoyed it so much he said he'd wished we'd have had more time to SHOP!!!? (He had a Harley date at 11a) :)

Here's how it went (brace yourself):


This is both of our orders combined from the morning.
(Yes, there are 30 pkg. of Chicken Cheddar Cheese Nibblers-
my family has an obsession. Don't judge.)


Total cost before coupons and discounts:     $435.77
Total bill after coupons and discounts:        -  227.16
Plus a $10 paid card from P&G savings       -  217.16
A savings of:                                                 218.61

That's a 50% savings!!!

Total coupon savings in four weeks: $384.59
Current average of 49.75% savings.



Today, we are SO grateful for our gigantic extra standing freezer in our garage. I especially love how we were already prepared for the necessary food storage part of this nearly extreme couponing adventure!!! 

How is your couponing coming along?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing with gas prices I have got to learn and get on this bandwagon...with a teenage son at home full time, well he can eat me out of house and home.

    Happy Mother's Day...you husband is blessed to have such a wise and smart wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gotten into couponing yet. I sometimes remember to cut out coupons for Target, and sometimes I even remember to use them.

    I do want to say, though, for your safety, because I'm paranoid about these things, please hide your credit card number before posting your receipt online. People are nutcases out there, and I don't want something bad to happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up, Danny. Although my receipts do not show my credit card number or information. One of them did have the last four digits with asterisks before that for security purposes. I will keep an eye out for that stuff in the future. i never even thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously...you are amazing!!!
    This is a HUGE savings...I'm going to refer my go-to-coupon-guru to you site :)
    She'll be very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad you posted this. I usually save around 50% give or take a few numbers each time I go to the store which is somewhere around twice a week. It makes me sick to see people look at me like I'm dumb because I'm not saving more (Extreme Couponing reference) Sometimes I just want to stand there and scream at them because that show doesn't tell people how much money they spend on their newspapers or ordering coupons online. It's ridiculous! Anyways, I'm really glad we're proud of our 50% savings!! You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lora, I LOVE couponing, I'm not the exreme clipper yet but I love saving money. You did a fabulous job. We only have one store in our area that doubles coupons so we went there last Friday. Now I know why there were no coupons over Mothers Day weekend!!!WHOA,I'm your newest followere.

    ReplyDelete