4.28.2011

A Yes Garden

In the past I have often said YES to gardening. It's the garden that tends to say NO to me. 

I can grow an amazing green house of starter plants, indoors. It's not the tending to or caring for that I struggle with. It's the knowledge of when, where, and how thereafter. I'm kind of clueless on that front, and I don't really like to find and follow rules.


Having admitted that, and having taken a year off of my attempts at gardening, I have decided to try again. 


In hopes of saying good-bye to wasted time, seeds, starters, compost and lawn space, this time I've added a tiny reluctant yes to learning all about just how to make this growing thing happen, FOR REAL.



I'm kind of crazy about this guy,
whose videos, seen here, made it easy to learn a whole bunch of basics 
with great tips and ideas for planning a successful garden. 

This year, another one of my goals while plummeting head long into all these YESES, is to tone it down a few notches. As I've mentioned before, I tend to be an extremist all-or-nothing type. 

In trying to learn from past mistakes and aim for a little balance I've noted that often it is wise to even tone down my tone-down (yes, it's that bad).

So after dreams of great garden grandeur, I came to the decision to start with one
 raised bed this year.


(Of course I have to have an inspiration photo)

After lots of (extreme) research, planning, and finding the least expensive place to buy, m
y sweet petite and I set out in our little green Jeep early this week to get what we needed.

We made two trips because of weight (even just one 4x8 foot bed needs a lot of soil), and we made one adorable garden box... well okay, we think it's adorable. 


Here's how it went:


We picked up three 8 foot long 2"x12"
 pieces of wood. 
We did not buy the $35 a piece cedar boards,
see that would be extreme for just starting out.
Proud? Me too! :)

We cut one of the 8' lengths in half with my trusty circular saw.

We measured the lawn mower first 

to determine the width between paths, 
and then taking into consideration the possibility of future beds 
we mapped out the area we wanted to construct our first box. 

The me part of we did a little edge digging and ground leveling,
then we fastened the boards together with wood screws,
leaving one side open for our first half of soil to be dumped in.


Next, we backed the Jeep up to the box as close as we could.


We opened the tailgate and readied for the unload.


I cut open...


  and dropped in...


 15, 40lb bags (3/4 cubic ft. each) into the box.
Zeek took these fabulous photos for you.


Finally, I mixed in 3 same sized bags of compost 
and left the bed for the night.


The next day we picked up the same amount of soil and compost, 
attached the fourth side to the bed
and added the last half of the dirt.

Now, we have to leave it sit for a couple of weeks 
before we should begin planting. 

Meanwhile, we will enjoy digging up worms to throw in,
and mixing in some grass clippings composted from last year 
offered to us from a kind neighbor! :)

Do you garden? 
Share your favorite garden links and tips with me!

Lord knows, I'll be needing them. ;)
    

Have you entered the giveaway yet?
We're drawing a winner Friday, 4/29!

11 comments:

  1. I was planning on making boxes like this here this year, but since I will be in Norway all summer I will be doing all my gardening there with my parents. Still I did just plant 8 strawberry plants in my little planter box on my deck. I hope I will get at least two strawberries this year to top last years one lonely one.
    Good luck with your gardening. It looks awesome already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't garden. My thumb is purple. My grandfather did, though, and he had a huge garden in the backyard. I miss it, but mostly I miss his roses. Now that is something I really want to plant. Sadly, they take a lot of care, which I have no motivation to provide to them, so I have none right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soil looks so wonderfully dark and rich - how can something that gorgeous NOT turn out equally fantastic veggies and things!

    My thumb is green, but loses interest after the initial planting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! My garden is sort of hit-and-miss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband built me a raised garden bed a couple weeks ago so I am hoping to have success gardening this year. Past years' efforts have not gone so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "the me part of we" --love that line! We have 2 raised beds. Some years I feel like gardening, some years I don't. I like the start-up phase (hubby tills, I plant) but when God doesn't send rain, I don't like to help him out w/ a hose. When Satan sends weeds, I don't like to fight him on yet another battle"ground." Happy medium: cut small X's in black plastic garden sheeting where your plants are .Keeps soil moist(er) and weeds (more or less) under control. But I'd be okay with getting free produce from ppl who love to share their bounty, or stop off at the farmer's markets to keep local farmers in biz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I try to garden, but truth is I often forget about looking after it. But Love it when The vege garden produces something for us to eat! Such a wonderful earthy feeling eating from your own backyard. Nice to visit (from Home Sanctuary) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had any luck gardening here. (Accept for the raspberries that come back every year for jam!) We planted corn our first year here with some success. Anything else I've tried has gotten strangled by the lilac roots. Maybe in our next place!

    Good luck!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in Florida, and I have a brown thumb. All I can really grow is green beans. The rest???? A few small peppers, a few eggplants, etc. Today? I had the best day at the U-pick-um farm where I got all organic grown squash, zuchinni, watercress, lettuce, cucumbers, etc. LOVE that place! My answer to gardening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son just started a garden, though his is with an interesting mix that requires no soil...just compost, peat moss, and a mineral I can't remember the name of. He's excited about it because there's no weeding!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like fun (and work!! but still fun)

    I have never tried a garden like that, but one day when we live in a house, I would love to.

    ReplyDelete