4.09.2011

Coupon Craze

A few months ago I found a bunch of abandoned coupons at one of my local grocery stores. I used many of them and left the rest for another passer-buyer. Discounting multiple groceries at once saved a bit of money and kind of gave me the bug. 

Each week we get a flyer for another local grocery store that is a little more expensive than I prefer, but I was able to use those coupons and a few from coupon.com to save 27% of my bill last week!

Not too bad, I thought. 

So THIS WEEK, the week that TLC's outrageous Extreme Couponing series just happened to begin airing, I decided to aim a little higher (not too high because I tend to be a little extreme myself if I'm not careful). 

My goal: to get groceries my family will use for somewhere around 50% off.
  • I chose an all together different area grocery store. 
  • I clipped from their weekly flyer which comes in the mail.
  • I stacked those coupons with in-store sales also shown in their flyer.
  • I added my own free printable coupons found online. 
  • I made a detailed list on ONLY things that my family uses. 
  • I took my reusable grocery bags (always) for -.05 each. 
  • I grabbed a store card at the service desk on double-double day (where the grocery store will double 10 manufactures' coupons valueing up to $1 each).
  • I shopped for about 20 minutes for only the items on my list (plus full price lettuce for a dinner with friends this weekend).
I'll admit I was sweating a little by the time I got to the checkout...
but DID I EVER SAVE!!!!

This is what I bought:


Total cost before coupons and discounts: $101.86
Total bill after coupons and discounts:      - 47.49 
A savings of:                                              54.37

That's a 53% savings!!!

Can I get YES!
____________________________________________________

There are SO many online sites where you can learn more about the art of couponing if you're interested in saving some of your own hard earned money. 
My personal favorite has been Passion For Savings.

Get involved.
I'd love to hear how much YOU can save, too!

3 comments:

  1. I used to do this too, but having a child who is cronicly sick and another one that I have to homeschool after she gets home from public school I just don't have the patience for it anymore. Maybe when things slow down again. I miss the rush of saving every time I go shopping. We'll see tomorrow morning if I can get some couponing done before my Monday morning grocery shopping trip.
    I say it with you: YES to couponing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lora! I have a friend who has been trying to convince me. . . maybe I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing what you saved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take me with you!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete